Monday, January 4, 2010

Box Office Mojo

If you've been relying soley on IMDB to get your box office info and the latest trends and news from the cinema world, it might be time to broaden your horizons.  While the IMDB Pro site offers much more than its free counterpart, many other sites out there give you more bang for your buck, particularly boxofficemojo.com (This site also offers a premiere version for a monthly fee but the free version will be sufficient for most users).

Mojo has compiled tons of historical box office data while putting this information in to easy to use charts and graphs.  As a casual visitor or simple movie enthusiast, one might be drawn to the "Showdowns" section and a look at an analysis of Adam Sandler vs. Adam Sandler movies.  The cinema professional can also find plenty of reasons to grab the Mojo.  I recently needed to come up with a list of potential directors for a documentary film that I am producing.  Having mainly worked on feature films in my career, I was having a hard time coming up with names.  If only I could find the list of all lists, a chart that showed me the top grossing documentaries of all time... and if only that list were to show me how much money each film made in every country it was released in... that's when I found my Mojo; The site had cleverly compiled territory specific data on the top 650+ grossing documentaries from 1982-present and put it in an interactive chart for me to use as my playground.  Using the information and links to each film, I was able to come up with over 50 directors that fit my needs, and every single one of them had a top grossing documentary to their credit.

If you haven't already done so, read my last post; Betting on Hollywood.  It explains how you can turn your box office savvy in to cold hard cash.  Just don't forget your Mojo.



Finally, I just wanted to take a second to rendre hommage to the great "March of the Penguins".  My former boss and good friend Ilann Girard was Executive Producer of the 2007 Oscar Winner which sits as the second highest grossing documentary of all time.  Mojo will confirm.

No comments:

Post a Comment